Diabetes Education Courses
Empowering people to manage their Type 2 diabetes and live a healthier life.
Our experienced team can rapidly mobilise and deliver structured diabetes education at scale across healthcare systems, ensuring people living with Type 2 diabetes are able to access essential education about their condition.
EMPOWER T2n is a four-hour education programme for people living with Type 2 diabetes, delivered by Spirit Health on behalf of the local NHS. The programme is designed to help people understand what Type 2 diabetes is, the effect it has on their body and how to make small, achievable changes to the food they eat and their everyday life.
How do the courses work?
People can choose to take the course online (as part of a group or on their own) or at a local venue.
They can choose from:
- EMPOWER Local. This is a face-to-face group session with between 6 and 12 other people, led by a trained educator in a local community venue (when it is safe to do so).
- EMPOWER Video. This is an online group session with between 6 and 12 other people, led by a trained educator using video conferencing.
- EMPOWER Digital. This is an online learning platform where people work through the course at their own pace.
What makes us different?
We have a demonstrable track record of delivering EMPOWER across more than 20 CCGs. Our QISMET accredited EMPOWER group course is loved by patients and clinical professionals alike. Achieving an impressive 97% Friends and Family Test score1, 50% uptake rate2 and excellent clinical outcomes including a 12% relative reduction in HbA1c3, EMPOWER is fully managed by the Spirit Health team, so we can deliver as many courses as you require, face-to-face, virtually, or digitally.
- Monitoring and support
- Communicating outcomes
- Easy access
- Engaging and motivating courses
- Fully auditable processes
Reduce waiting lists with our EMPOWER course
We can help to tackle waiting lists for structured diabetes education and rapidly roll out our EMPOWER T2n course.
Find out how we helped Kent and Medway CCG to tackle their waiting list backlog.
How do we do it?
We employ a specialist team of dedicated trained educators and experienced administrators to:
- Manage the referral process, with a dedicated 24/7 support line for patients.
- Deliver the EMPOWER T2n course face-to-face and virtually during the week in the evening and at the weekend as well as digitally.
- Collect and review key clinical and quality of life metrics pre and post course.
Want to know more about commissioning EMPOWER in your area?Contact our EMPOWER team Download Our Brochure
1Data on file. EMPOWER T2n participant feedback all CCGs 2019/20.
2Data on file. EMPOWER T2n attendance all CCGs 2019/20.
3Swift, Barker, Palin and Peck ‘Investigating the cost-effectiveness of structured diabetes education’, British Journal of Healthcare Management 2019).